OS Listening Campaign
Action Group Launch meeting - thursday, April 6 at 7pm
At this meeting, we will take the brainstorms which came out of our Sunday meeting and learn about how to move our passion forward through strategic collective action. Action Groups will form around Combating Hatred, Preserving the Social Safety Net, and Climate Change and begin their work to create plans for action at Or Shalom.
The Votes are in!
Sunday, March 19, more than 70 (!!) Or Shalomers gathered to learn about the results of two months of deep listening sessions. We were able to summarize the concerns and themes that came up in nearly two dozen listening sessions reaching well over 100 of our members. The organizing team put together an amazing piece of "readers theater" to share this information and we have clips that can be viewed on our Facebook page, here and here, or down below!
As promised, we voted on our priorities and narrowed our scope down to three areas of focus: Combating Hatred, Preserving the Social Safety Net, and Climate Change. Our voting captured not only the top priorities for the people present, but also where they would be willing to devote time and effort. If we all show up for the time we set as an intention on Sunday, Or Shalomers will be giving 374 hours per month to these areas. Just imagine what we can accomplish!!!!
Next Step in the Listening Campaign: Turning toward action!
March 19 Community Gathering
1:30-3:30 p.m. at Or Shalom
Join your fellow Or Shalomers to learn what we heard from each other in two months of deep listening sessions. We’ll look at the concerns and themes that we've heard so far, and narrow our scope down to several areas of research to help focus Or Shalom's energy around social action. We need your voice to make these important decisions! Roll up your sleeves, bring your outstanding ability to listen and your out-sized dreams. More information on the Listening Campaign below.
OR SHALOM’S COMMUNITY-WIDE LISTENING CAMPAIGN
Or Shalom’s mission statement describes a community united in the desire to support one another and mend the world. Our Listening Campaign addresses both these ambitions. Fot the the next upcoming session, please visit the OS calendar.
Goals of the Listening Groups phase of the campaign:
• Strengthen relationships among individual members in Or Shalom
• Discover common concerns and experiences with systemic issues that affect our community, the broader city, state and nation and lead us to action
How we are conducting this phase:
• Hold facilitated conversations during January and February, aimed at hearing each other’s concerns, connecting to each other, and identifying common themes
• Include students from 6th grade up and a broad segment of adults in the community
• Keep the community updated in Or Shalom’s weekly bulletin
• Summaries, themes and examples of our concerns will be shared at a communitywide Or Shalom meeting in March
• The community will choose specific themes we want to research
• A smaller group will report back research results, with suggestions for actions at the June annual membership meeting
• Strengthened relationships and a stronger Or Shalom community
• United commitment to specific social action with high support and involvement from members
• Increased social action beyond these specific initiatives that result from our strengthened connections and community
Where did this model come from?:
Faith in Action provided us with this model of congregation-based community organizing, along with ongoing guidance. Faith in Action is a network of faith groups committed to upholding the dignity of all members of our community, and is part of the national organization People Improving Communities Through Organizing (PICO).